Tomoe Gozen, female samurai and badass.
- lived from around 1157 to 1247
- fought in the Genpei War (1180–1185)
- the only historical account of her is the The Tale of Heike, an epic retelling of the struggle for supremacy between the Taira and Minamoto clans in the war
- however, her grave and one of her handmaiden’s graves exist today, so she was probably real
- Tomoe was described as extremely beautiful (of course)
- a superb archer and swordswoman, both riding and on foot
- was “a warrior worth a thousand”
- she also rode unbroken horses down cliffs!